Monday, March 24, 2008

I still don't get...

...Twitter. (Does that make me a twit?)

I've read about it. Registered. Checked out the site. Tried to follow a few people. Got frustrated. Read a bit more. Looked for enlightenment in Robert Scoble's recent post.

And yet it still seems a bit banal. I don't need that much information fed to me in baby-sized increments at all times of the day.

Now, I'm not saying I need a novel's worth of prose (or even a short story). And I'm all for brevity being the soul of wit.

But, I respectfully submit, where's the wit in twit? (Pardon the rhyme.)

I hear many people raving about Twitter; people I know and respect. Perhaps I'm being old fashioned. Maybe it's a case of missing the birds for the tweets.

But could someone please explain to me what's so good about Twitter, what I'm missing and why I should give up something else so I can start paying attention to tweets?

Listen: I like one-liners as much as the next guy (maybe more), but I just don't see the big deal about these.

3 comments:

zoe said...

it seems that you've given it a fair try and you just don't like it. that's okay...you don't have to like everything that is out there.

I'll confess - i don't like podcasts. i gave them a try but it's just not for me. maybe it's because I have trouble just listening (i'm really more of a visual learner).

so twitter isn't for you. maybe you should start a facebook group about it. I bet you would find that you are not alone.

z

Michelle Kostya said...

I am a fan of Twitter. It took me awhile ( a few months to really get it)...but this is what I love:
- Access to more great social media and marketing info
- Links to great articles and well thought out posts
- A chance to actually talk/interact with the bloggers that I read
- If I ask a question I usually get an answer within seconds or minutes from knowledgeable people!
- I really get to know some of my friends through their tweets

Why don't you post a link to this post to your Twitter followers and see what it is they like about Twitter?

Martin Waxman said...

Thanks to both of you for your ideas and thoughts. While I may be on the edge, I'm not ready to completely give up on Twitter, yet. So I'll probably sip the the Kool-aid a few more times and see if its taste starts to appeal to me.